Friday, June 27, 2014

One step at a time...

Today was the day...I got myself a membership at our local rec center.  My son-in-law, Brennan is my new trainer.

As you all know, I've been doing a 5k training program for the last month.  I don't have a specific 5k event that I'm training for, I just wanted to do it for myself.  I'm 50 years old (51 in August) and I've decided it's time to get healthy.  I'm losing weight slowly and I've noticed that now that the fat is disappearing, I'm kind of saggy.  Especially my arms and tummy.

A few days ago, I made the decision...I called Brennan and asked him if he'd help me.  (He practically lives in the gym).  He agreed to be my trainer.

I met him up at the rec center today and signed up, got my picture taken.  Thank God they didn't let me see if because I'm sure I looked crazy.  I didn't know if I was suppose to look at the camera or above it or where.  My hair was piled on top of my head and I had no makeup on.  Very pretty.  But since I didn't see it, I don't have to be embarrassed.  Hopefully, tomorrow when I walk in, the girls at the desk don't point and laugh at me.  Then I'll know they've been sharing the crazy lady picture around.

Okay, back to my workout...  We started out with a warm up, fast walking 3 laps around the track.  Then we hit the weight room.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  He asked me what I wanted to start with and I figured arms would be a good way to ease into the weight lifting world.  I'm not quite sure what I was thinking.

We started with 3lb free weights.  I told him I didn't want to get big muscles, just tone my arms and get rid of the bat wings that flap when I wave.

The 3 lbs weights were too light so we moved up to 5 lbs.  He showed me how to stand and what the correct form is for each exercise we did.  I tell you what.  By the 3rd round of reps my triceps were on fire.  (Did you like the way I actually used the correct name for the muscle we were working).

Then we went over to this contraption that had pulleys and weights and these bar handle things.  I don't know how many different muscles in my arms that he tortured, but about an hour into our workout, I was sweating like a pig and I thought I was going to puke.  Seriously, I thought I was on the Biggest Loser show.  I was actually looking around for a bucket or trash can because I thought I was going to hurl right there in front of everyone.  I stood in front of a big fan for a few minutes and cooled off and gained my composure and went back for more torture.  Luckily, we were almost finished at that point.



Then we went back upstairs to the track and cooled down for 3 more laps.

I walked out of there and had to sit in the car for a few minutes because I didn't think my arms could hold the steering wheel.  I had to shake out the arms and wiggle my fingers to get the blood flowing again.  And I thought arms would be the easiest to start with.  Ha...

Tomorrow, I go back...I told him I wanted to work on my stomach muscles.  I may need a wheel chair when I get finished tomorrow.

The main thing is that I'm doing it!  Even if it kills me, I'm going to get healthy and get in shape.  It's hard for the short fat girl to even walk into a gym full of pretty people with their rock hard abs and perfectly cut arms and legs.  But I'm going to do it.  I won't quit.  I whine and complain...that's my coping mechanism.  Even though it sounds like I'm hating it, I'm really loving it and I'm so proud of myself.

I hope that I can inspire you to go for a walk, or maybe try some yoga, join your local rec center or gym and get healthy with me.  If I can do it, so can you.



No comments:

Post a Comment