Monday, July 21, 2014

It's a LIAR!

Wow, it's almost been a month since my last post.  I've sat here many times over the last few weeks trying to come up with something interested to write about.  I'd start and then decide it was stupid or not interesting and delete it.

My cousin sent me a text last night and asked how I was doing because I hadn't been posting anything.  So I decided to just tell you how I'm doing.

As you know I've been doing a 5k training.  I don't have a specific 5k run in mind that I'm training for, I've just always wanted to know that I could run a 5k.  I was using the Zombie 5k training app on my phone, but it just kept having glitches.  Like miscalculating the distance and time, not showing completed workout, etc.  I deleted the app and re-installed it, but it must just be buggy.  So I loaded my playlist with lots of my favorite songs and just decided to do my own thing.

The Zombie app, always started with a 5 or 10 minute walk, then walk run drills and then a free form run. (run or walk as you wish).  With my routine, I'm walking 5 minutes to warm up.  Then I jog for 1 mile, then walk/jog back home.  I'm increasing my jogging time by a tenth of a mile each week.  So right now I'm jogging 1.3 miles per day.  I like going out first thing in the morning around 6am.  It's daylight, but the sun hasn't really started putting out heat, it's still a little foggy/misty from the dew and it's a great way to get the day going.  In fact I think it's my favorite time of the day.

Something else I want to tell you... I'm 5 days away from being on Skinny Fiber for 11 months.  7 weeks ago when I started working out, I had lost 40 lbs and 70".  Last week at the 6 week mark, I decided to measure and weigh myself.  (I hadn't weighed since I started jogging)  I have to tell you I was very disappointed in the scale.  I had only lost 1 lb in 6 weeks.  I wanted to stomp the glass out of the scale.  It had to be wrong, I've been working so hard and making better choices and doing everything right.  It was like a slap in the face.  I didn't even want to check my measurements, because I didn't want to get slapped again. But, I got out the tape measure and I was surprised when I realized I'd lost 9.5 more inches overall.  That was when I decided the scale is a liar.  The scale weighs your entire body, bones, fat, muscle, water, everything.  It doesn't tell you how much fat you've lost.  It doesn't tell you that your clothes are fitting better.  It doesn't tell you that your organs and brain are getting healthier.  It just weighs your body.  I made a decision,  I'm going to let my health and my clothing tell me how I'm doing.  I've still got a long road to travel before I'm where I want to be and when I get there, I'll step back on the scale and see what it says.  Even if the number isn't what I think it should be, I'll know it's the number that I am.

Look for the non-scale victories in your life.  Did that pair of jeans slip up just a little bit easier than the last time you wore them?  Did you choose the fruit plate for dessert instead of the cheesecake?  Did you jog that mile a little faster than the last time?  These are all victories and we should be elated over every single one of them.  The old Teresa would have thrown in the towel with a 1 lb weight loss after 6 weeks of hard work.  She would have given up 10 1/2 months and 41 lbs and gone right back to the old sedentary lifestyle, eating a bag of chips late at night watching a scary movie.  She would have gained that 41 lbs back in the blink of an eye.  The new Teresa, isn't giving up.  I've learned so much in the past 10 1/2 months.  1 lb doesn't sound like much but it's a freaking pound! 4 sticks of butter, a roll of hamburger, hold those up to your stomach and see how much space they take up.  Nope, I'm not defeated!  I'm just getting started!






2 comments:

  1. Loved it! Keep up the good work! I'm headed downstair to the tredmill to walk for 30 minutes. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete